Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Pointless advertising

I've realised my last entry was a bit diary-like, something I'd been hoping to avoid in all honesty, so for that I apologise. Normal service will now be resumed....

So anyway, I'm watching TV the other night and during one of the ad breaks there was a Phillips advert for one of their MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scanners. In case you don't know, MRI scanners are huge machines used in hospitals to scan people for leprechauns (or something along those lines). Anyway, the point is they're huge machines costing many thousands of pounds. So, what's the point of advertising them in the middle of Brainiac? How many people are honestly sitting at home, see an advert for one of these things and think "You know, I must rush out and buy a new MRI scanner"? What demographic are Phillips aiming for here? To me it just seems like a huge waste of time and money. Ok, so maybe it increases peoples awareness of the brand but to be totally honest, showing off a 60" plasma TV would probably work just as well...

Here's a thought - why don't Phillips donate the money they have spent on these totally pointless adverts to a hospital, or just give them a scanner?

No comments: